All about Post Study Work Permit in US

2 mins read52.9K Views 4 Comments
Piyush Kohli
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Feb 9, 2022 19:48 IST

Post-study work visa is one of the most important factors for students going to pursue higher studies in the USA. F1 Visa, M1 Visa, and J1 Visa are three types of student visas that allow students to stay in the US for a limited time period after completing their studies.

As an F1 student visa holder, international students can complete up to a year of temporary employment directly related to their major field of study. F1 visa holders can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after completing their studies.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a one-year work and stay-back permit given to international students on completion of a degree program in the US. There are two types of OPT – one which can be used during one’s studies i.e. PreCompletion OPT, and another which starts after completing one’s studies i.e. Post-Completion OPT.

The job you get after finishing your course must be directly related to your field of study. You have to find the job within 90 days after graduation.

One can apply for OPT nine months after enrolling in their course. However, one can start working only after obtaining Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS. EAD is issued to those who enrolled for at least a year. One can apply for EAD without the job offer and one can work under OPT employment anywhere in the USA.

Duration to stay back – You get to stay in the US for one year after completion of your course on an F1 visa.

Extension – For students studying STEM courses (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) a new rule allows a 24-month extension. This means you can continue to stay in the US for three years after finishing your course of study. STEM OPT extension allows graduates to stay and work for two more years in an approved STEM field/area.

How to get OPT permit

The first thing is to have the Designated School Official (DSO) at your university recommend your case for OPT. A DSO is someone who assists and manages the status of international students. To be put forward, you will need to complete a certification process at your university. This includes submitting OPT I-20 request form to International Services Office. You can download this form from your university’s website.

You might be interested in these free downloads
Canada Student Visa Guide
Canada Student Visa Guide38k downloads
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees and Application Process
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees ...14k downloads
Statement of Purpose (SOP): All You Need to Know!
Statement of Purpose (SOP): All You Need to Know!44k downloads

Your university will then send your request to SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) and on successful completion, a new I-20 immigration form will be generated.

Useful Links:

About the Author
Piyush Kohli
Study Abroad Expert

With a plethora of knowledge of the education domain, Piyush Kohli has been involved with study abroad for over 5 years and counting. He comes with prior experience on the complexities of the study abroad applicatio... Read Full Bio




Jose Luis


Jose luis provide cash loans from € 5000 to € 50000, projects loan € 50000 to € 300,000 at an annual rate of 2% for any person or company needing a loan. money to meet some of their needs. WhatsApp number , +393511910241

Reply to Jose Luis

Hi, Good Day!.I have completed my MBA(Operations Management) in India, and planning to apply for MS(Industrial Engineering) in USA, so Am I eligible for 3years of OPT as its a Second masters case? Thank you.

Reply to Pratiksha pawar


Jay Suresh


Hi, post attending Film School in the USA, what are the ways to continue working in Hollywood?

Reply to Jay Suresh

Hi, post MBA in USA colleges, what is the post study work visa norm ?
Best !

Reply to Shashank Chaudhary


Piyush KohliStudy Abroad Expert


Hi Shashank, after completing MBA, you can apply for OPT i.e. Optical Practical Training, which is usually for 12 months period. During this time, you can work in your related field of study.

We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse the site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy.